Here comes the bride — and the groom, the bridesmaids, and the groomsmen – plan ahead, practice a little, and then enjoy bring... Read more »
Choose flowers you really love for romantic and beautiful wedding centerpieces you’ll always remember. Read more »
When you’re filling out your wish-list of wedding gifts, don’t forget to include supplies for the garden shed. With the right... Read more »
The first time you try our PowerGear2™ Pruner, you’ll be amazed — but it’s not magic, it’s gears. Our patented gear techno... Read more »
The first time you try our PowerGear®2 Titanium Hedge Shears, you’ll be amazed — but it’s not magic, it’s gears. Our patented g... Read more »
The first time you try our PowerGear2™ Lopper, you’ll be amazed — but it’s not magic, it’s gears. Our patented-pending tec... Read more »
Making your own wedding invites and thank you cards is a delightful task when you a few versatile tools and simple techniques... Read more »
Adding a small photo charm to a bride’s bouquet is a touching way for a bride to remember someone special on her wedding day. Read more »
Create a beautiful setting for your post-wedding brunch. Using these Fiskars tools will make the project even easier. Read more »
Perfect for a wide range of crafting and mixed media tasks, our Amplify® Mixed Media Shears sense blade separation and force th... Read more »
Our unique Tag Maker with Built-in Eyelet Setter features an innovative design that makes it easy to create tags perfect for gi... Read more »
Choose our low-maintenance Photo Bypass Paper Trimmer to trim large quantities of photos with speed and precision. An easy-to-u... Read more »
Window treatments can turn a room from drab to fab, but if you’re on a budget sometimes hand-me-down curtains will have to do,... Read more »
Crop tops are making a comeback, but with a new shape, a longer length and a swinging silhouette. Stay ahead of the trends by... Read more »
If you’re not ready to fully embrace the trend for bold 70’s prints in your clothing, why not reflect it with a gloriously lou... Read more »
Perfect for a wide range of sewing and quilting tasks, our Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears sense blade separation and force t... Read more »
Perfect for tight, precise cuts, our Amplify® Mixed Media Shears sense blade separation and force the blades back together to c... Read more »
Our Classic Stick Rotary Cutter with a 45 mm blade is ideal for crisp, controlled cuts on a wide variety of materials. A symmet... Read more »
Make clean up time a fun game for the kids! It becomes really easy for toddlers and preschoolers to match their toys to their... Read more »
Funny Face Magnet Gift Wrap is simple to make and quite literally gives each gift magnetic personality. Read more »
“Painting” with tissue paper is not only fun but beautiful! Read more »
Our Preschool Training Scissors features a special training lever that opens the blades after each cut, helping children learn... Read more »
Children love our Designer Non-stick Blunt-tip Kids Scissors for the colorful handle patterns that make cutting fun and the non... Read more »
Our Designer Non-stick Student Scissors are larger than our Kids Scissors but smaller than adult scissors, perfect for those ol... Read more »
Introduced to the world as a quality fabric scissors, the Original Orange-Handled Scissors redefined the standard for cutting p... Read more »
Except when we kids switched the cards around, which I admit happened often, too. My mother made the paper place cards with traditional Puritan hats. They weren’t fancy, but they were an integral part of the table decorations each year. When she passed away, the simple table cards remained in the dining room hutch for a long time, because no one could bear to throw them out.
This year, I decided to rekindle that family tradition and make my own Thanksgiving place cards, as well as a special menu card for the big occasion. Now, I am by no means a professional crafter, but I wanted to test my hand at crafting, use a few Fiskars products, and create these mom-inspired decorations for our holiday table.
Instructions for Menu:
1) First, I wrote the menu and printed it on a plain sheet of 8 ½ x 11 paper so I could determine the right layout. I wanted to leave room for a tree at the top. When I got the type spaced the way I wanted, I printed the menu on a cream colored sheet of paper.
2) I used the Rope Border Punch to create a decorative border on the menu, before attaching it to a brown 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper. This was glued carefully to the colorful oversized decorative paper.
3) On the menu itself, I used the Tree Level Punch (X Large) to punch a tree in matching brown paper, which I pasted to the top of the page in the center.
4) Then I sprinkled leaves in different colors down the page, which I created with the Fiskars Lever Punch 3-Pack.
Voila! The menu was done. Next to the place cards...
1) Using the SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer, I cut a border for the names in the same cream paper as the menu, so these colored pieces were approximately ½ inch wide. The paper trimmer made it easy to get clean, sharp edges, even for a beginner like me.
2) I used the trimmer to cut a border about 1 ½ inch wide to surround the names, using the same decorative paper used for the menu.
3) These pieces were glued to a brown sheet of paper, sized 3.5x5 inches, which was folded in half.
4) The final touch was an autumn leaf created from the same Fiskars Lever Punch 3-Pack leaf used for the menu. I wasn’t sure at first where to put the leaf. But as I was deciding, the leaf fluttered from my hand and landed softly directly above the name. Whether it was divine intervention or old-fashioned luck, I decided to leave the leaf where it was in the design.
Here are the final results – simple but decorative and they match the china. Not only have I recreated a family tradition, but these items will make our Thanksgiving meal feel special this year – and everyone will feel included for the big event.
Somehow, I think my mom would approve.
Different colored sheets in autumn colors like cream and brown, ranging in size from 8 ½ x 11 sheets to oversized 12x12 sheets with a leaf motif.