Indulge your creativity by sewing this DIY pillow bed. It's the perfect space-saving, comfy spot for sleepover guests.
DIY Pillow Bed Tutorial
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers and all-purpose cutting through thick fabrics like leather, upholstery, vinyl, burlap, suede, flannel and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick fabrics and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- RazorEdge™ Shears feature ultra-sharp, premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge that glides through fabric for clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears (8")
- 18" x 24" mat is ideal for cutting full widths of fabric from the bolt
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Cutting Mat (18" x 24")
- Ideal for measuring and making precise, clean cuts through fabric when strip cutting, cutting long swaths, cutting basic shapes like triangles and more
- Ergonomic handle and a 45 mm rotary blade make smooth, confident cuts through multiple layers of fabric easy
- Spring-activated blade only engages when in use
- Built-in ruler features a 6" x 24" measuring grid with highlighted numbers that are easy to see on light or dark fabric
- Grid is clearly printed on both sides for easy right- and left-handed use
- Bias lines make it easy to measure angles before cutting
- Rail design prevents lint build up
- Traction strip provides excellent stability while cutting
- Magnetic system provides easy, safe, no-touch blade change (extra blades and magnetic blade change tool sold separately, see item 195120-1001)
- Built-in handle offers convenient transportation
- Lifetime warranty
- Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (6" x 24")
Designed to cut thick and heavy fabrics, these premium fabric shears feature ultra-sharp blades ideal for all-purpose cutting tasks
Long-lasting mat is ideal for cutting full widths of fabric.
Specifically designed to cut multiple layers, a rotary cutter with a 6" x 24" ruler attached makes measuring and making perfect cuts through fabric easier than ever.
2.5 yards of 59” wide minky fabric
4 18” x 28” pillows
Sewing machine and thread
1. Use the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (6” x 24”) to cut your fabric to 2 yards plus 6” in length. Lay the fabric on your work surface with the right side of the fabric facing you.
2. Draw a chalk line 7” long on the side of the fabric facing you. Fold the fabric lengthwise, but not in half. One side will need to be 7" longer than the other. Then fold that 7" back over on to the rest of the fabric to create a flap.
3. Pin along the top non-selvedge edge and sew with a 1” seam allowance, being sure to catch all the layers of fabric in your stitches. Repeat for the opposite end of the fabric.
2. Trim the seam allowances using the 8” Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabrics Shears, then turn the fabric to the right side, ensuring that the pillow flap is on the inside of the cover. Lay flat on your work surface. Ensure that all corners and edges are squared up with the grid lines on your cutting mat, and that there are no creases or wrinkles in the fabric.
3. Measure 19” down from the top edge and place pins across the entire width of the cover at this 19” mark. Stitch along this line.
4. Lay the cover on your work surface again and repeat step 3 two more times, each time measuring 19” down from the previously stitched line. Rolling up the cover as you progress will help keep your fabric under control and your lines straight.
5. Trim away any loose threads and insert the pillows to complete your comfy DIY pillow bed.
This cozy pillow, is great for any spot in the house for reading, watching TV or even taking a nap!