Maximize your outdoor area by creating a functional seating space with this upcycled crate project. A thick foam French mattress placed across upturned crates becomes the perfect perch for kicking back, and the extra throw cushions provided added comfort and color.
Urban Garden: Sew Your Own Cushion and Pillows
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers and all-purpose cutting through thick fabrics like leather, upholstery, vinyl, burlap, suede, flannel and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick fabrics and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- RazorEdge™ Shears feature ultra-sharp, premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge that glides through fabric for clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears (8")
- Ideal for measuring and making precise, clean cuts through fabric when strip cutting, cutting long swaths, cutting basic shapes like triangles and more
- Ergonomic handle and a 45 mm rotary blade make smooth, confident cuts through multiple layers of fabric easy
- Spring-activated blade only engages when in use
- Built-in ruler features a 6" x 24" measuring grid with highlighted numbers that are easy to see on light or dark fabric
- Grid is clearly printed on both sides for easy right- and left-handed use
- Bias lines make it easy to measure angles before cutting
- Rail design prevents lint build up
- Traction strip provides excellent stability while cutting
- Magnetic system provides easy, safe, no-touch blade change (extra blades and magnetic blade change tool sold separately, see item 195120-1001)
- Built-in handle offers convenient transportation
- Lifetime warranty
- Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (6" x 24")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: Large (24" x 36")
Designed to cut thick and heavy fabrics, these premium fabric shears feature ultra-sharp blades ideal for all-purpose cutting tasks
Specifically designed to cut multiple layers, a rotary cutter with a 6" x 24" ruler attached makes measuring and making perfect cuts through fabric easier than ever.
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
For the French mattress cushion:
Crates suitable for repurposing
3” thick foam
Sewing machine and thread
Heavy-duty upholstery needle
Cotton size 10
For the throw cushions:
Cushion front fabric
Cushion back fabric
Zipper that measures at least the width of the pillow insert
Sewing machine and thread
To Create the French Mattress Cushion:
1. Source crates suitable for upcycling and measure how big your foam mattress will need to be. Use the 8” Amplify Fabric Shears to cut the foam to size.
2. Lay your outdoor fabric on your work surface (folding in half if more convenient). Cut two pieces of fabric the same measurements as the foam in step 1, plus ½ on each side.”. For example, our foam measured 36” x 15”, and we cut two pieces of fabric measuring 36.5” x 15.5”. Using the Rotary Cutter and Ruler allows you to take accurate measurements and cuts easily through multiple layers of fabric. These two pieces of fabric will create the top and bottom of the French mattress cushion.
3. Cut two strips of fabric that are 4” wide and the length of the long end of the fabric you cut in step 2. Then cut 2 strips of fabric 4” wide and the length of the short end of the fabric you cut in step 2. These pieces will be the side edge of the French mattress cushion.
4. Take one of the long strips of fabric cut in step 3 and sew it at the short end to one of the shorter strips of fabric from step three. The right sides of the fabric should be facing each other. Sew the second long strip of fabric to the other end of the short strip, then sew on the final short strip. Sew the first and last strips together so that you create a closed loop of fabric that will wrap around the outside side edge of the mattress.
5. With the right sides of the fabric facing, pin the loop of fabric to the top mattress piece. Align the corners of the top mattress piece with the seams of the fabric loop. Sew in place, easing the fabric around the corners as you sew.
6. Repeat step 5 with the bottom cushion piece but leave one long side of the mattress unsewn. You will need a large opening through which you'll insert the foam.
7. Turn the mattress cover to the right side and insert the foam. Pin the opening then hand stitch closed.
8. To add the final French mattress detail, take a long heavy-duty upholstery needle and thread with size 10 cotton. Knot at the end. Pinch the corner edge of the mattress between your fingers and sew small stitches around the entire perimeter of the mattress, sewing through the fabric and the foam. Pull the thread tight. Repeat for both the top and bottom of the cushion. This will create the French mattress edge to the seat cushion.
To Create the Throw Cushions:
1. For each throw cushion, cut one front piece of fabric the same measurements as your pillow insert. For example, if your pillow insert measures 20” x 20”, cut one piece of fabric 20” x 20”. Use the Rotary Cutter and Ruler for time-saving, accurate cutting.
2. Next, cut the back cushion pieces. Each cushion will need two back pieces. They will measure the width of the pillow insert and the half the height plus 1/2”. For example, if your pillow insert measures 20” x 20”, cut two pieces of fabric measuring 20” x 10.5”.
3. Open your zipper. Pin the zipper tape along one long edge of one cushion back fabric piece. The right side of the zipper should be facing the right side of the fabric. Sew in place.
4. Pin the other side of the zipper tape to the second cushion back piece of fabric and sew.
5. Lay the cushion back piece on the work surface with the right side of the fabric facing you. Open the zipper halfway. Place the cushion front piece on top so that the right side of the fabric pieces are facing each other. Pin both layers together and sew around the perimeter of the cushion.
6. Clip the cushion corners using the 8” Amplify Fabric Shears and turn the cushion to the right side. Poke out the corners so that they are square.
7. Insert the pillow form and zip closed.