Even the simplest of dress patterns can be used to create a stunning wedding gown and using the right tools from Fiskars will ensure a professional finish.
Handmade Short Summer Wedding Dress
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl
- Pivoting handle locks in three positions - classic stick for familiar feel and control, power position to increase force when cutting thick materials and ergonomic left or right to take pressure off your wrist and improve sightlines
- High-grade, precision-ground, premium steel 45 mm rotary blade stays sharper
- Ergonomically sculpted handle with Softgrip provides added comfort
- Sliding button extends blade guard when not in use
- Designed for both right- and left-handed use
- Full lifetime warranty (excludes blades)
- Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter (45 mm)
- Ideal for all-purpose cutting through fabrics like silk, oil cloth, light leather, polyester, cotton, crepe, felt and much more
- RazorEdge™ Shears feature ultra-sharp, premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge that glides through fabric for clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Unique handle shape lets you lay fabric flat and minimizes lifting while you work for more accurate tabletop cutting
- Advanced pivot design delivers our smoothest cutting action ever
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears for Tabletop Cutting (8")
A pivoting handle adjusts to three positions to increase comfort, improve sightlines and make cutting thick materials easier.
Designed for clean, crisp cuts through fabric, these premium fabric shears feature ultra-sharp blades ideal for all-purpose tasks and a unique handle shape for more accurate tabletop cutting.
Pattern – McCalls M6955
Fabric (according to pattern requirements)
Needle and thread
Iron and ironing board
While many women opt to buy their wedding gown, creating your own is sure to save you money. It can be intimidating at first, but with the right scissors and an easy pattern, you will wow your guests with this simple, elegant summer wedding dress.
1. Select your pattern size and trace or cut out the pattern pieces according to requirements.
2. Pin the required pattern pieces to your fabric. Use the Adjustable Rotary Cutter to cut out each pattern piece. The unique pivoting handle on this rotary cutter accommodates all of the various cutting angles around the pattern, saving you from twisting your wrists.
3. Pin the bodice pattern pieces to lace fabric for an overlay. Cut out the pattern pieces using the RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears. The scissors feature an offset handle designed to keep fabric flat while cutting, minimizing disruptions to the fabric fibers and improving accuracy. Additionally, you will be able to get through multiple layers because the ultra-sharp blades are designed to cut cleanly through multiple layers.
4. Baste the lace overlay to the bodice fabric pattern pieces and continue to assemble the dress bodice according to pattern directions.
5. Trim darts and seam allowances and notches using the RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears. You will breeze through this task with minimal cuts because the blades cut all the way to the tip.
6. Attach the skirt to the bodice following pattern directions.
7. Insert zipper through the back of the dress.
8. Finish the lining of the dress with hand stitching.
With this simple yet elegant dress for your wedding, you will impress guests and have more time (and money) to spend elsewhere – like with the one you love.
Click here for more DIY Wedding inspiration