Mother's Day Mixed Media Shadow Box
By Stephenie Hamen
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers and all-purpose cutting through thick and heavy mixed media materials like cardstock, magnet, chipboard, fiberglass cloth and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick mixed media materials and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- Premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge cut cleanly all the way to the tip and stay sharp
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® Mixed Media Shears (8")
- Ideal for creating large, intricate shapes that can be used as embellishments on handmade cards, scrapbook pages, collages and much more
- Smart design requires less force per punch and reduces paper jams for frustration-free crafting
- Based on crafter-chosen designs
- Great for creating layered embellishments with multiple punched-out shapes
- Locks down when not in use for convenient, space-saving storage
- Softgrip® punch button reduces hand fatigue during repetitive punching
- Size: 2"
- For use with 80-lb. cardstock or lower
- Lifetime warranty
- Mum's the Word Intricate Shape Punch (2")
Designed to cut thick and heavy mixed media, these shears feature blades ideal for all-purpose cutting tasks.
Out of Stock
A unique design punches more intricate shapes with less force and fewer paper jams.
Maybe it is time to make her something that is not only pretty, but meaningful as well. Why not create a springy and cute shadow box with a favorite photo?
First open up and remove the backing, pins, and inner layers. This one was basically all one piece – the backer was directly attached to the fabric-topped pin board. Yours may be in separate pieces.
Add a thick layer of gesso to the frame. You can use the brush to add depth and bumps so that it has extra texture. Next prime the sides with a layer of gesso as well. Let this dry.
Trim down your corrugated cardboard paper to fit on top of the backer.
Paint the edges of the backer and let that dry.
Use a hot glue gun to adhere the cardboard to the backer.
The next step is to create the art board flower piece.
Using the intricate shape punch, cut out three flower shapes out of a basic cardstock.
Use them as masks for the gel medium. Paint the gel medium onto the art board and let it start to dry. Remove the masks before it is completely dry so that it does not glue down.
Once it was completely dry, start painting with Gelatos. Once it dries over the flowers, you can use a damp paper towel or baby wipe to remove the color from the gel medium area, leaving you with a pretty image beneath.
While the art board is drying, grab your dry frame and paint a layer of acrylic paint in your chosen color over the top of the gesso. Sit it to the side and let that dry.
To complete your art piece, use your permanent marker and make super basic and completely random lines – try NOT to be precise when doing this – to create a variety of flowers.
Use your hot glue gun and glue the art board on top of the corrugate. Using pop dots for dimension, add in your photo. Then add your sentiment.
Now it is just a matter of putting the frame back together. To finish it off, add a couple of fabric flowers to the corner with some hot glue.
Happy Mother’s Day!