No sewing experience is necessary for these easy costumes. In less than an hour, you can have a one-of–a-kind costume for Halloween for your child.
DIY Kids Halloween Costumes
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including denim, silk and multiple layers of fabric
- High-grade, precision-ground, stainless-steel blades offer a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Ergonomic handle is sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing cutting control and sensitivity
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- The Original Orange-handled Scissors™ (8")
- Ultra-sharp, high-grade, stainless steel blades on our 8” RazorEdge™ Easy Action™ Fabric Shears glide through fabric and cut all the way to the tip
- Winner of the Arthritis Foundation® Ease-of-Use Commendation, its spring-action design gently opens blades after each cut to reduce hand strain
- Unique, contoured handle fits the natural shape of your hand and lets you lay fabric flat for more accurate, tabletop cutting
- Ideal for all-purpose, tabletop cuts through fabrics like silk, oil cloth, light leather, polyester, cotton, crepe, felt and much more
- Full lifetime warranty
- RazorEdge™ Easy Action™ Fabric Shears for Tabletop Cutting (8”)
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl
- Pivoting handle locks in three positions - classic stick for familiar feel and control, power position to increase force when cutting thick materials and ergonomic left or right to take pressure off your wrist and improve sightlines
- High-grade, precision-ground, premium steel 45 mm rotary blade stays sharper
- Ergonomically sculpted handle with Softgrip provides added comfort
- Sliding button extends blade guard when not in use
- Designed for both right- and left-handed use
- Full lifetime warranty (excludes blades)
- Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter (45 mm)
- Highlighted seam allowance makes it easy to cut fabric strips up to 6" wide directly from the bolt
- Broken grid lines and easy-to-read measurements make measuring quick and accurate
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree line indicators make it easy to cut at perfect angles
- Optional non-slip vinyl feet can be added or removed without damaging the ruler
- Made of 3 mm-thick acrylic for lasting durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Acrylic Ruler (6" x 24")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: Large (24" x 36")
Known worldwide for quality and precision, our trusted Orange-handled Scissors have sold over 1 billion since 1967.
A pivoting handle adjusts to three positions to increase comfort, improve sightlines and make cutting thick materials easier.
Perfectly sized for cutting fabric from the bolt.
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
black tulle – approx 5 yards (less for a younger child's tutu)
needle and thread
Picking just one DIY Halloween costume for kids can be a difficult decision, but this cat fairy costume is easy to create and will delight your child! Alternatively, this skeleton outfit is a quick costume for the busy mom.
To make the Cat Fairy Costume:
1. Measure a piece of elastic around the child's waist and trim to size using the RazorEdge™ Easy Action™ Fabric Shears for Tabletop Cutting.
2. Sew the two ends together, creating a loop.
3. Trim a feather boa to size and sew one end to the back of the elastic waistband to serve as the cat's tail.
4. Use the Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter along the Acrylic Ruler to cut multiple strips of tulle approximately 20” long and 5” wide. This rotary cutter features a pivoting handle that can rotate into three different fixed positions to help reduce soreness and hand fatigue when cutting through multiple layers. Rotate to the power position, where the blade is directly oriented under the handle, to increase force, which helps save time and reduces the pressure exerted on your wrist.
5. Loop the cut tulle strips around the elastic waistband until the entire elastic is covered.
6. Use the Fabric Shears for Tabletop Cutting to cut ear shapes from black and pink felt and handstitch them around a black plastic headband. These scissors are ideal for trimming anything flat on the table. With the unique offset handle shape, the fabric lifts less while you work, helping to eliminate awkward or inaccurate cutting.
7. Pair the tutu and cat ears with a black leotard and face paint to complete the simple DIY Halloween costume.
To make the skeleton:
1. Trim a piece of freezer paper to approximately the size of the front of the black t-shirt.
2. Use a marker to draw a rib cage design on the freezer paper and iron it to the front of the black t-shirt.
3. Use the shears to carefully cut out the rib cage design. Cut through the fabric of the t-shirt and the freezer paper together.
4. Remove the freezer paper.
5. Wear the cut black t-shirt with a white t-shirt underneath for a quick spooky homemade costume idea. Add any skeleton mask for added eeriness.