By Valerie Salmon
45mm stick rotary cutter
18x24 cutting mat
3.5 x 18.5 acrylic ruler
Short Cut Snip Scissors
100% cotton batting
Every household needs a set of these coasters that are just as pretty as they are functional. You can sew these up in no time and make them to coordinate with your home decor and color scheme. They would also make a great gift for anyone! So, keep your rotary cutter, acrylic ruler, and mat in hand because making these will be a snap when you have the right tools.
Steps for each coaster:
1. Cut the following fabric using a rotary cutter, acrylic ruler, and self-healing mat.
Linen - (1) 4.5" x 4.5" and (2) 2.5" x 2.5"
Brown - (1) 2.5" x 2.5"
Green - (1) 2.5" x 2.5"
Cotton batting - (1) 4.5" x 4.5"
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4".
2. Stitch all of the 2.5" squares to make a patchwork 4.5" square.
3. Put the patchwork square and the 4.5" linen with RIGHT sides together. Place one 4.5" cotton batting against one of the wrong sides. Pin in place and stitch all around 4 sides, leaving about a 1.5" opening. Clip the corners.
4. Turn the coaster right-side out, with the cotton batting now sandwiched between the two fabric pieces. Make sure the corners have nice points. Press all edges with an iron and conceal the opening. Top-stitch all around, close to the edge.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 to make the rest of the set.