Bring new life to your entry way by creating this simple felt door banner that can be updated for a fresh holiday look. Make each holiday sign ahead of time so that when in the midst of the hustle and bustle, all you have to do is change out the design. This banner is perfect for small spaces or apartment doors but would look fabulous inside the home as well.
DIY Fall Door Banner
By Jen Causey of Something Turquoise
- Ideal for basic measuring-and-cutting tasks or centering tasks
- One side features a traditional 1"–14" ruler
- The other side features a 7"–0", 0"–7" scale specifically designed to make centering easier
- Broken grid lines and easy-to-read measurements make measuring quick and accurate
- Made of 3 mm-thick acrylic for lasting durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Acrylic Centering Ruler (2" x 14")
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers and all-purpose cutting through thick and heavy mixed media materials like cardstock, magnet, chipboard, fiberglass cloth and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick mixed media materials and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- Premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge cut cleanly all the way to the tip and stay sharp
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® Mixed Media Shears (8")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: Large (24" x 36")
With two sets of markings, this versatile ruler is great for a wide range of sewing and quilting projects.
Designed to cut thick and heavy mixed media, these shears feature blades ideal for all-purpose cutting tasks.
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
Hot glue gun
18” x 12” Felt
Glitter iron-on material
Two hinge clips
14” x 3/4” Wooden dowel
Paint and paint brush
Sequin trim or ribbon
Craft-fuse iron-on fabric stiffener
Strong adhesive glue
1. Start by painting a 14” x 3/4” wooden dowel a pretty color. Set aside to dry.
2. Trim a piece of felt down to 18” x 12” using the Amplify® Mixed Media Shears. These shears make clean cuts on thicker materials like this felt. Working on a cutting mat makes it easier to get the lines straight and clean.
3. On the backside of the felt apply an iron-on fabric stiffener so that the banner always keeps its shape.
4. Using the Acrylic Centering Ruler and a pen, measure a triangle with a center height of 2” on one of the short ends of the banner. Then, cut out this triangle using the Amplify® Mixed Media Shears. The shears are perfect for working with the different types of materials this project requires.
5. Cut a piece of glitter iron-on material to 12” x 7”. Trace, then cut out the same triangle end from the previous step.
6. Apply the glitter iron-on to the front, bottom of the banner. Most appliqués will call for a pressing cloth in-between the glitter and iron, so carefully follow the directions on the package.
7. Using a ruler again, measure a 3.5” line from the top of the backside of the banner on the fabric stiffener. Then carefully fold the top of the banner down to meet the line and hot glue. This forms the insert to feed the dowel through the fabric to hang.
8. Once the dowel paint is dry, add it into the banner. The sequin trim (or ribbon) to hang the banner, can either be tied to the dowel or hot glued to the back of the banner.
9. Center and glue the metal hinge clips to the felt using a strong adhesive. Let dry for 24 hours.
10. Print the holiday signs to easily and quickly clip onto the banner for each month. Print onto white cardstock and cut down to 8” x 10.5” using the Mixed Media Shears.
Finally, hang the sign to welcome guests for holiday festivities.