This leather and felt applique cushion is the perfect way to bring a little color and added dimension to your living room. Follow these steps to make your own.
Sew a Stylish Leather Accent Cushion
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl
- Pivoting handle locks in three positions - classic stick for familiar feel and control, power position to increase force when cutting thick materials and ergonomic left or right to take pressure off your wrist and improve sightlines
- High-grade, precision-ground, premium steel 45 mm rotary blade stays sharper
- Ergonomically sculpted handle with Softgrip provides added comfort
- Sliding button extends blade guard when not in use
- Designed for both right- and left-handed use
- Full lifetime warranty (excludes blades)
- Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter (45 mm)
- Highlighted seam allowance makes it easy to cut fabric strips up to 6" wide directly from the bolt
- Broken grid lines and easy-to-read measurements make measuring quick and accurate
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree line indicators make it easy to cut at perfect angles
- Optional non-slip vinyl feet can be added or removed without damaging the ruler
- Made of 3 mm-thick acrylic for lasting durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Acrylic Ruler (6" x 24")
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including denim, silk and multiple layers of fabric
- High-grade, precision-ground, stainless-steel blades offer a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Ergonomic handle is sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing cutting control and sensitivity
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- The Original Orange-handled Scissors™ (8")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Cutting Mat (24" x 36")
- Ideal for precisely cutting common thread, cotton, silk, polyester, linen, upholstery, canvas and more
- Includes three essential fabric blades: one seam ripper blade, one standard #9 buttonhole blade and one standard #11 blade
- Easy blade change lock makes switching blades virtually effortless
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Ergonomic handle is contoured to your hand’s natural grip
- No-roll design prevents knife from rolling off work surface
- Included safety cap protects blade during storage
- Packaging doubles as blade case for safe, convenient storage
- Replacement blades available: seam ripper blades (item 164030), standard #9 buttonhole blades (item 16404), standard #11 blades (item 196010)
- Full lifetime warranty
- To remove blade, pull out orange lever, then turn lever down and push into handle. Carefully remove blade. Always avoid contact with sharp edge
- To insert blade, insert blade base into blade slot. Turn up and push in orange lever to lock blade in place
- Easy Change Fabric Knife (3 blades)
- Ideal for precisely cutting fabric, thread, ribbon, floss, yarn and more
- Razor-sharp, premium-grade stainless steel blades make clean cuts
- Built-in blade guard can be extended when not in use for safe storage and travel
- Pointed tips offer control when trimming in tight spaces
- Spring-action design makes cutting easy
- Softgrip® touchpoints improve comfort and control
- Length: 5"
- Full lifetime warranty
- Ultrasharp Thread Snips (5")
A pivoting handle adjusts to three positions to increase comfort, improve sightlines and make cutting thick materials easier.
Out of Stock
Perfectly sized for cutting fabric from the bolt.
Known worldwide for quality and precision, our trusted Orange-handled Scissors have sold over 1 billion since 1967.
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
Rip seams, cut buttonholes and make detailed cuts into fabric with one comfortable, multipurpose knife.
Quickly and precisely snip fabric and thread with a compact design featuring razor-sharp blades and a built-in blade guard.
22” x 22” pillow insert
Sewing machine and thread
fabric for cushion back
1. Cut the felt. First, lay the felt on your Fiskars® cutting mat. Cut one piece of felt measuring 22" x 22" using the Fiskars® Adjustable Rotary Cutter in the power position, which is the perfect way to cut thicker materials.
2. Cut the fabric. Next, cut one piece of coordinating fabric for the cushion back measuring 22" x 22" using the same technique. We used a heavy canvas for the back, but you can use any fabric that coordinates in color or texture with your selected felt and leather.
3. Cut the leather. Start by drawing a triangle on the back of the leather, the side that won’t be seen, to fit inside the felt square. The base of the triangle should be 22" wide. Then, cut along the marked lines using the Fiskars® Orange-handled Scissors™.
4. Sew the leather triangle to the felt square. Secure the leather in place with double-sided tape so it doesn’t shift while you sew. Be sure to place the tape away from the edges of the leather so you don't catch it with your stitching. Next, sew the leather to the felt with a straight stitch, along the edge of the leather.
5. Trim loose threads. Tie off loose threads and trim with the Fiskars® Ultrasharp Thread Snips.
6. Mark the zipper placement. Lay the cushion back piece on top of the cushion front, with the sides of the fabrics that you want to be seen facing each other. Place the zipper along one side edge (away from the leather applique), and place pins where the zipper should start and stop.
7. Sew the cushion side seam. Sew the side seam with the pinned zipper placement, starting at one corner and stitch using a regular straight stitch. Change to a basting stitch in between the pins that mark the zipper placement. After the second pin, stitch with a straight stitch again, until you reach the second corner.
8. Insert the zipper. Lay the zipper face down along the center of the seam you just sewed. Finger press the seam open so that the felt lays flat on both sides. Pin the zipper in place. Sew around the perimeter of the zipper, along the zipper tape.
9. Remove the basting stitches. Remove the basing stitches using the seam ripper blade in the Fiskars® Easy Change Fabric Knife to reveal the zipper.
10. Completing the cushion. Begin by pulling open the zipper to about half way. Next, sew the remaining 3 sides of the cushion. Snip off the excess material in the cushion corners using scissors to create a crisp outside corner. Open the zipper completely and turn the cushion inside out, revealing the external fabric. Poke out the corners and insert a pillow of the appropriate size to finish.