Add a loving touch to ensure that your wedding cake looks as wonderful as it tastes. Top the cake with a charming DIY banner complete with a sweet saying.
DIY Banner Cake Topper
By Jen Causey of Something Turquoise
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including denim, silk and multiple layers of fabric
- Non-stick blade coating makes it easy to cut cleanly through materials with sticky adhesives like tape or glue
- High-grade, precision-ground, stainless-steel blades offer a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Ergonomic handle is sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing cutting control and sensitivity
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Non-stick Scissors (8")
Non-stick blades make cutting through adhesive materials a breeze.
White Duct Tape
Twin Tip Sharpies
Metallic Gold Twine
2 – 16″ BBQ Skewers
White paint (optional)
When it comes to cake toppers for your big day, the possibilities are endless. Think beyond the traditional bride and groom topper and let the cake reflect your love from top to bottom. This simple banner can be created with just a few tools and supplies.
1. Start by cutting 3 pieces of twine at least 20″ long.
2. Using the Non-stick Scissors cut a 12″ strip of white duct tape off the roll and place it sticky side up on your work surface. These scissors have a unique coating on the blades that makes it possible to cleanly slice through sticky adhesive. Then trim 3/4″ strips of tape, one for each flag. Place the strips on top of the roll until the next step.
3. Place each strip of tape under the twine and carefully fold it over the twine as evenly as possible. These pieces will create your bunting!
4. Next, trim the edges off each rectangle to form the little flags – aren’t they adorable!?
5. Using your favorite color Sharpie, add your letters to each flag. This can be done using any permanent marker, but a finer tip Sharpie will give you the most control.
6. Carefully tie each bunting strand in-between two BBQ skewers. Trim the excess twine after you are done. If you prefer, you can paint the skewers beforehand or you can leave them in their natural bamboo color.
This idea is so great because you can do this for any cake at any occasion, in any color! Plus, if cupcakes are more your style, you can simply fold the strips of duct tape over tooth picks using the same method to make individual flags for each cupcake.
Thanks to SomethingTurquoise.com for providing this cute tutorial for the DIY bride. You can see the original post here.