Easy Gifts: Quilted Potholders
By Smitha Katti
- Ideal for measuring and making precise, clean cuts through fabric when cutting squares, triangles and other shapes
- Ergonomic handle and a 45 mm rotary blade make smooth, confident cuts through multiple layers of fabric easy
- Spring-activated blade only engages when in use
- Built-in ruler features a 12" x 12" measuring grid with highlighted numbers that are easy to see on light or dark fabric
- Grid is clearly printed on both sides for easy right- and left-handed use
- Bias lines make it easy to measure angles before cutting
- Rail design prevents lint build up
- Traction strip provides excellent stability while cutting
- Magnetic system provides easy, safe, no-touch blade change (extra blades and magnetic blade change tool sold separately)
- Built-in handle offers convenient transportation
- Lifetime warranty
- Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (12" x 12")
- 18" x 24" mat is ideal for cutting full widths of fabric from the bolt
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Cutting Mat (18" x 24")
- Ideal for quickly creating tags perfect for gifts and other crafts, eliminating mistakes that waste materials and cause reworks
- Insert paper into the large slot and depress the lever for a cleanly punched-out tag shape
- Insert the punched-out tag into the small slot and depress the lever for a perfectly centered tag hole
- Slip the tag hole over the peg on the back of punch, drop in the eyelet and depress the handle to set the eyelet with no noisy hammering
- Includes a 20, 3/16" eyelets (also accommodates 5/32" eyelets)
- Tag size: 2" x 3"
- Punches heavier materials than standard punches, up to 80-lb. cardstock
- Lifetime warranty
- Simple Tag Maker with Built-in Eyelet Setter
Specifically designed to cut multiple layers, a rotary cutter with a 12" x 12"ruler attached makes measuring and cutting perfect shapes from fabric easier than ever.
Long-lasting mat is ideal for cutting full widths of fabric.
Our exclusive design punches a tag, punches a centered tag hole and even sets the eyelet without any noisy hammering.
These potholders are a simple project to make and are easy enough for even a beginner to learn.
1. For these potholders, use a pre-cut fabric charm pack. These squares are usually 5 inches in size however, if you don’t have a charm pack you can easily trim some fabric to make 5-inch squares using either a Fiskars Pinking Shears or the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo. You will also need a fabric for the back of your potholder, some kind of binding fabric, and batting.
2. Sew four of the charm pack squares to form a simple patchwork fabric. Using the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (12” by 12”) trim the fabric to measure roughly 7”x9.”
3. Similarly, using the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (12” by 12”) trim the fabric that you want to use as the back of the potholder to measure 7”x 9.”
4. Now, to prepare your quilt sandwich, place the backing fabric, right side facing down, then the batting and top it off with the quilt top with right side facing up.
5. Quilt these layers together, using a machine quilting technique. You can hand quilt if you prefer.
6. Next, using the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (12” by 12”), trim off the excess and square off the edges.
7. The final step is to bind these potholders. Trim long strips of fabric using the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (12” by 12”). The strips here are 2.5” wide. Sew this binding all around the potholder and remember to add a small loop to act as a handle. Learn more: How to make your own binding article.
8. Add a gift tag using the Simple Tag Maker, wrap with colored string or ribbon, and your handmade gift is complete for gift giving.