Create a cozy space for quiet time, reading, play and adventure with this DIY kids fort with comfy floor pillows. When the weather calls for lazy days around the house or the kids need a special place for homework, a cool DIY fort will always bring a smile.
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers and all-purpose cutting through thick fabrics like leather, upholstery, vinyl, burlap, suede, flannel and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick fabrics and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- RazorEdge™ Shears feature ultra-sharp, premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge that glides through fabric for clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears (8")
- Ideal for measuring and making precise, clean cuts through fabric when cutting squares, triangles and other shapes
- Ergonomic handle and a 45 mm rotary blade make smooth, confident cuts through multiple layers of fabric easy
- Spring-activated blade only engages when in use
- Built-in ruler features a 12" x 12" measuring grid with highlighted numbers that are easy to see on light or dark fabric
- Grid is clearly printed on both sides for easy right- and left-handed use
- Bias lines make it easy to measure angles before cutting
- Rail design prevents lint build up
- Traction strip provides excellent stability while cutting
- Magnetic system provides easy, safe, no-touch blade change (extra blades and magnetic blade change tool sold separately)
- Built-in handle offers convenient transportation
- Lifetime warranty
- Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo (12" x 12")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Cutting Mat (24" x 36")
Designed to cut thick and heavy fabrics, these premium fabric shears feature ultra-sharp blades ideal for all-purpose cutting tasks
Specifically designed to cut multiple layers, a rotary cutter with a 12" x 12"ruler attached makes measuring and cutting perfect shapes from fabric easier than ever.
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
Approx 9 yards of fabric
XL wooden embroidery hoop
Decorative pom pom trim
Iron and ironing board
Sewing machine and thread
Minky fabric for pillows
Felt for pillows
1. To make the nook, use the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo to trim fabric into three panels of equal length. This tool is quick and convenient, as the rotary cutter is attached directly to the ruler. The desired length will vary from room to room, depending on ceiling height. The panels in this project each measured three yards.
2. Create a wide casing at the top of each fabric panel by folding the top edge over about 3" and hemming.
3. Use the 8” Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears to trim the decorative pom pom trim to the same length as your fabric panels. These scissors are versatile and will cut through the variety of materials used in this project.
4. Sew the pom pom string to one long edge of two fabric panels. This will create a cute decorative 'doorway' for the nook.
5. Thread the extra large wooden embroidery hoop through the casing at the top of all three fabric panels. Use the hoop's hardware to close the circle.
6. Trim three lengths of ribbon and tie to the embroidery hoop between each panel. Tie the ends of the ribbons together and form a loop for hanging.
DIY Fort Pillows
1. To create the cloud floor pillows, place two pieces of minky fabric on the work surface. Use a marker to draw an outline of a cloud and cut out through both layers using the Amplify® shears.
2. Cut facial features from colored felt and use a fusible interfacing to temporarily adhere the cut-outs to the front of one cloud fabric piece.
3. Sew the facial features to the front of the fabric using a blanket stitch on your machine.
4. After the "face" on the pillows has been created, sew both fabric cloud shapes together with the right sides of the fabric facing each other. Leave a small hole in one edge to be used to insert poly-fill.
5. Trim the seam allowance on the pillows and cut curves. Turn the pillow to the right side and begin to stuff with poly-fill. Close the hole with several small hand stitches.
This simple DIY fort will give kids a room of their very own to spark their imaginations!