Upcycling a tired headboard is an easy way to make a big impact on bedroom dècor. Follow these directions to refresh your bedroom and transform your space to fit your personal style.
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers and all-purpose cutting through thick fabrics like leather, upholstery, vinyl, burlap, suede, flannel and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick fabrics and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- RazorEdge™ Shears feature ultra-sharp, premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge that glides through fabric for clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Cutting Scissors (8")
- Ideal for cutting multiple layers of fabric, paper, felt and vinyl
- Pivoting handle locks in three positions - classic stick for familiar feel and control, power position to increase force when cutting thick materials and ergonomic left or right to take pressure off your wrist and improve sightlines
- High-grade, precision-ground, premium steel 45 mm rotary blade stays sharper
- Ergonomically sculpted handle with Softgrip provides added comfort
- Sliding button extends blade guard when not in use
- Designed for both right- and left-handed use
- Full lifetime warranty (excludes blades)
- Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter (45 mm)
- Highlighted seam allowance makes it easy to cut fabric strips up to 6" wide directly from the bolt
- Broken grid lines and easy-to-read measurements make measuring quick and accurate
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree line indicators make it easy to cut at perfect angles
- Optional non-slip vinyl feet can be added or removed without damaging the ruler
- Made of 3 mm-thick acrylic for lasting durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Acrylic Ruler (6" x 24")
Designed to cut thick and heavy fabrics, these premium fabric shears feature ultra-sharp blades ideal for all-purpose cutting tasks
A pivoting handle adjusts to three positions to increase comfort, improve sightlines and make cutting thick materials easier.
Perfectly sized for cutting fabric from the bolt.
Wooden bed frame with headboard
Heavy-duty stapler and staples
1. Start by giving an old wooden bed frame a fresh coat of paint.
2. If the headboard is not already square, use a saw to trim away any curved sides and create a straight edge. This will make wrapping the fabric smoother and easier.
3. Measure the height and width of the headboard and record the measurements. Use Amplify® Shears (8") to trim the foam to the same size as the headboard. The shears are designed to make quick work of thick materials.
4. Cut the batting to the same size as the foam and adhere the batting to the top side of the foam. The batting will provide an extra layer of comfort and ensure that your upcycled headboard feels as good as it looks.
5. Use the Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter and the Acrylic Ruler to trim the upholstery fabric to size. The fabric should be cut about 8 inches longer and wider than the foam. Using the rotary cutter in the power position will facilitate easier cutting of heavy-weight fabrics.
6. Place the fabric on your work surface with the wrong side of the fabric facing up. Put the foam in the center of the fabric, with the batting side against the fabric. Wrap the two short ends of the fabric around the foam. Glue in place and allow the glue to dry so the fabric doesn't move when working on the next step.
7. Place the fabric and foam on the front of the wooden headboard and pull the excess fabric from the long sides over the back to finish wrapping the headboard. Smooth out any wrinkles before stapling in place using a heavy-duty stapler. Once the fabric has been stapled at the top and bottom and the fabric is secure, you're done.
Whether you're refreshing a guest room or updating your own room, upcycling your headboard is a great way to give a room a comfortable and inviting feel.