One of the questions I am asked the most is how to keep the yard looking nice all summer long. Here are three basic summer yard-care tips.
Summer Yard Care Tips
By Chris Lambton
- Ideal for permanently removing dandelions, thistles and other invasive weeds without multiple applications harsh, costly herbicide
- Long shaft eliminates sore knees from kneeling and back ache from bending and stooping
- Offset handle design offers improved ergonomics to reduce wrist strain and enhance grip
- Four serrated, stainless-steel claws firmly grab weeds and roots for permanent removal
- Reinforced foot platform is 30% stronger so you can step down confidently to penetrate tough soil
- Viewing window integrated into the foot pedal make it easy to see the weed for optimum claw placement and clean, complete removal
- Easy-eject mechanism on the handle clears tool without forcing you to bend over and remove it by hand to make cleanup quicker and easier
- Lightweight aluminum shaft provides easy maneuverability and lasting strength
- Length: 39"
- Lifetime warranty
- Deluxe Stand-up Weeder (4-claw)
- PowerGear® patented gear technology multiplies leverage to give you up to 3X more power on every cut
- Powers through thick branches that traditional loppers and pruners can’t
- Patent-pending design with modified gears and cam mechanism optimizes your cutting power in the middle of the cut where the branch is thickest and you need it most
- Earned the Arthritis Foundation’s Ease of UseSM Commendation
- Fully hardened steel blade stays sharp, even through heavy use
- Low-friction coating helps the blade glide through wood, prevents the blade from gumming up with sap and debris and helps the blade resist rust
- Rounded ergonomic handles with Softgrip® enhances comfort and control
- Tough steel construction with riveted handles offers lasting durability
- Bypass blade style
- Length: 25"
- Maximum cutting capacity: 1-3/4" dia.
- Lifetime warranty
- PowerGear2™ Lopper (25")
- Ideal for edging and trimming decorative grasses around flower beds, trees and sidewalks
- Long shaft eliminates sore knees from kneeling and back ache from bending
- Blades swivel 360 degrees for easy trimming at any angle
- Smooth-cutting mechanism makes each snip easy
- Fully hardened, precision-ground steel blades stay sharp, even through heavy use
- 4-1/2" blades hold grass up for clean cuts and cut all the way to the tip
- Ergonomically designed handle provides a comfortable grip
- Aluminum construction provides superior strength and reduced weight
- Easy-open lock protects the blades during transport and storage
- Length: 36"
- Lifetime warranty
- Long-handled Grass Clipping Shears with Swivel (36")
Designed to remove weeds and their roots without sore knees, an aching back or harsh chemicals, with an enhanced design to make a weed-free lawn easier than ever.
Out of Stock
Enhanced to maximize leverage where the branch is thickest, so you can power through branches up to 1-3/4" diameter with ease.
Trim ornamental grasses without sore knees from kneeling or back strain from bending.
1. Maintain the Proper Lawn Height
Once the weather warms up, it's important to adjust the blade height on your lawn mower. In the spring and fall, it is okay to trim the lawn to a shorter height because of cool nights and rainy days, but in the summer, especially during the hottest months, I like to set the mower height to 3 inches. Mowing the lawn at a higher height insulates the grass from the summer sun and reduces water loss from the soil. Adjusting the mowing height is easy with the StaySharp™ Max Reel Mower. It is designed with a one-touch height adjustment which allows you to adjust the height in one step.
The same rule applies to long grass around a tree trunk or a mailbox post that you can’t reach with your mower. The Long Handle Swivel Grass Shears solve that problem. These shears allow you to do the work standing up, so there is no more sore knees or bending over like you do with a small grass shears. The sharp blades will give the grass around your garden and trees a clean and finished look.
2. Keep Weeds at Bay
In the summer months, water and nutrients are vitally important to lawns and gardens. If weeds are present they will take these essential elements away from your plants. Weeding is usually a task that people dread, but it is very important. The UpRoot® Weed and Root Remover makes this activity more enjoyable.
Instead of spending the day on your knees fighting to get rid of dandelions or using expensive and harmful chemicals, you can stand on your feet and get rid of the weeds and the root. This weeder has four serrated stainless steel claws that grab the root and remove the entire weed. It will actually make weeding the lawn and garden a fun activity!
3. Trim Back Spring Growth
If you turn your back for too long, Mother Nature will take over your yard. The spring growing season can quickly turn your yard from well manicured to overgrown. The summer is the time to trim and shape your plants to keep them looking well manicured and organized.
Foundation plantings and hedges are where I start to reclaim my yard. I use my PowerGear2™ Hedge Shears for many reasons. The low friction coating helps the blades slice through branches without gumming up, and the blade cuts well from the joint to the tip. The PowerGear® technology cuts with 3 times more power on every cut. Before you hang up your shears, don’t forget to wipe the blades clean, so they are ready to go the next time.
These are three simple things you can do to keep your lawn looking neat and fresh all summer long. Yard work doesn’t have to be a chore. With Fiskars tools, you will get your work done faster and easier so you can get back to the summer fun!