With this simple tutorial you will learn how to make a yarn monster that is perfect for accompanying little ones to school.
Backpack Buddies for Kids
By Handmade Charlotte
- Ideal for punching unique embellishments from thick and tough craft materials like cardboard, balsa wood, foam, cardstock, chipboard, corkboard, foil, printed cotton paper, canvas, photos and more
- Punches recycled materials found around the home, like aluminum cans, milk jugs, cereal boxes, newspapers, magazines, postcards, junk mail and more
- Punches multiple layers of light craft paper to reduce repeat punches on big projects or when layering for dimension
- Portable design makes it more convenient than large die-cutting machines when crafting on the go
- Locks down when not in use for space-saving storage
- Softgrip® punch button makes repetitive punching more comfortable
- Size: 1"
- Lifetime warranty
- Circle Thick Materials Punch (Small, 1")
- Ideal for kids ages eight and up
- #1 teacher recommended brand
- Longer blades and larger handle loops are perfect for older kids working on more advanced classroom projects
- Stainless-steel blades cut all classroom materials for frustration-free projects
- Expanded fingers loop and ergonomic thumb loop provide the natural, comfortable fit kids are used to from our Kids Scissors
- Smooth, shiny blue handle was specifically requested by kids
- Antimicrobial handle protection inhibits the growth of bacterial odors and helps prevent product deterioration
- Accommodates right- and left-handed users
- Available in a range of colors
- Length: 6"
- Lifetime warranty
- Big Kids Scissors (6" - Blue)
Now you can create with thick and tough materials like aluminum cans, cardboard, balsa wood, milk jugs, foam and more thanks to our exclusive new punch design.
The perfect step up for older kids working on more advanced projects, these scissors feature larger finger loops and longer blades than our Kids Scissors.
Does your child miss their play friends when they go off to school? It can be hard to leave all the enticing toys at home. With this simple tutorial, you will learn how to make a yarn monster that is perfect for accompanying little ones to school. These aren’t the scary kind of monsters. They’re fun and silly! Just like kids! And the best thing about them is that they can be attached to a keychain, making them less likely to get lost. They can take them everywhere they go! They’re easy enough that kids can make them with their friends too. Here’s how to do it!
1. Create a base of the monster body by wrapping yarn around your four fingers, excluding your thumb. The bigger you want your monster, the wider you should spread your fingers. Wrap it 70 times to create a thick body.
2. Cut a piece of yarn off about 9” and insert and tie yarn closed.
3. As if you’re making a tassel, cut the yarn circle in half evenly.
4. Tie the long pieces of the 9” yarn to a keychain.
5. Shape the yarn pieces with your scissors so that they are straight and not straggly.
6. To make the antennae, cut a piece of pipe cleaner in half and insert it with the tied yarn you created.
7. Twist the pipe cleaner twice so it doesn’t slide out.
8. Cut eyeballs with your scissors or with the punches and glue to the yarn. The Thick Materials Shape Punch is designed to cut through thick and heavy material, so you can get creative with the material you use for the eyes.
9. Add any remaining features you want to create the facial expressions of the monster like a yarn mouth, teeth, eyelashes, eyebrows, etc.
Now, get creative! Play around with the colors and yarn length. Make bangs or a ponytail by cutting yarn. Try playing with the shape of the eyeballs or colors of the pipe cleaners. With so many different combinations, your child will be creating a whole village of buddy monsters in no time!
To find the perfect scissors for your child, visit our Kids Scissors Selection Guide.