August in the garden can be challenging for both gardeners and plants. Read more »
Extreme heat merits triage treatments Read more »
With a new school year on the horizon, it is time to refocus on our fall wardrobe. Read more »
“Painting” with tissue paper is not only fun but beautiful! Read more »
A new school year calls for a new set of accessories. Read more »
With school coming up, it is time to start planning and organizing. Read more »
As my new year’s resolution to sew one item of clothing each month of 2012 enters its ninth month, I decided to use the Wiksten Tova pattern which is available as an instant download. The pattern is printed on your home printer and each section is pieced together with tape. A good paper trimmer is essential if you intend to use the print-at-home option for your patterns.
I decided to use a sweet navy and white gingham cotton for this shirt, and after cutting out each pattern piece, I marked the fabric with an erasable marker. I did not make any changes to the pattern as I find this brand of patterns to be an excellent fit and true to size.
The front of the shirt has an open style with a placket that does away with the need for buttons or a zipper. This shirt can be pulled on and off over the head very easily. I used a seam gauge to check the measurements of the placket.
The bodice is slightly gathered and reinforced in the front of the shirt and I found the pattern directions explaining the process to be excellently written and very straightforward. I used my Fiskars Stitcher Scissors to cut into the seam allowance at the corners and allow the stitching to provide extra stability to the seam.
The front bodice came together very quickly and beautifully and it was a simple process to sew the front of the shirt to the back.
I placed the shirt on my dress form to get an idea of the fit and found it to be the right size. At this point I also hemmed the shirt.
Next, I moved on to constructing the sleeves. I have recently started using a tailor’s ham which is very helpful when pressing curved seams. I inserted the tailor’s ham into the sleeve cavity and pressed the finished seam allowance to one side.
The sleeves are finished with a small cuff, which is a nice and professional looking detail.
I’m looking forward to making this pattern again in different fabrics and textures. I’m happy to have found an easy and versatile pattern that fits me well and looks stylish. I know this shirt will get a lot of use and has assured itself a permanent place in my handmade wardrobe.
Wiksten Tova shirt pattern
Fabric (check pattern requirements)