Keeping the garden tidy requires a few deft moves with the right tools, and, time and again over the seasons, shrub rakes are... Read more »
Entire books have been written on the science of making compost, but it isn’t as hard as people think. In five easy steps, you... Read more »
Weeding, pruning, and raking all make a huge difference in the appearance of a garden, but, to finish the job, you have to rou... Read more »
The Fiskars® aluminum shrub rake features a slim head with uniquely tapered tines that are perfect for reaching into tight spac... Read more »
Our Eco Bin Composter features an easy-to-assemble, easy-to-use design that can simplify and speed the composting process. It i... Read more »
Our HardShell® Kangaroo® Gardening Container is perfect for all your outdoor cleanup needs — whether you’re gathering yard and... Read more »
Are school fundraiser ideas keeping you up at night? A unique handmade art piece that represents your school is sure to be a p... Read more »
Creating beautiful and personal touches does not have to be difficult, especially when you have great designs to work with! Read more »
Recycle and give a new life to some of your old T-shirts Read more »
Teresa Collins is a top craft celebrity who has been featured numerous times on My Craft Channel, HSN, QVC and DIY network, wel... Read more »
Our unique Tag Maker with Built-in Eyelet Setter features an innovative design that makes it easy to create tags perfect for gi... Read more »
By creating a few simple tags, you won’t be caught at the fabric store not knowing what fabrics or yardage you have in your st... Read more »
A brocade drawstring pouch can be a beautiful and luxurious accessory or gift. Read more »
Transform a simple hoodie into a super simple unicorn costume and take the stress and pressure out of making a complicated Hal... Read more »
Perfect for a wide range of sewing and quilting tasks, our Amplify® RazorEdge™ Serrated Fabric Shears sense blade separation an... Read more »
Perfect for a wide range of sewing and quilting tasks, our Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears sense blade separation and force t... Read more »
Perfect for a wide range of crafting and mixed media tasks, our Amplify® Mixed Media Shears sense blade separation and force th... Read more »
Try some new punches out and make some cards to celebrate World Card Making Day! Read more »
A personalized Duck Tape® crown is quick and easy to make with your Fiskars® Duck® Edition Scissors. It is a fun way to cele... Read more »
Our Preschool Training Scissors features a special training lever that opens the blades after each cut, helping children learn... Read more »
Children love our Designer Non-stick Blunt-tip Kids Scissors for the colorful handle patterns that make cutting fun and the non... Read more »
Our Designer Non-stick Student Scissors are larger than our Kids Scissors but smaller than adult scissors, perfect for those ol... Read more »
Transform a basic jacket into something personal and unique. Read more »
Create a simple reusable calendar to plan all of your back to school activities. Read more »
Creating a miniature collage with your Fiskars® Duck® Edition Scissors is a great way to use up any last bits of Duck Tape® yo... Read more »
Designed for long, easy cuts down strips of Duck® Tape, our Duck® Edition Scissors feature a non-stick blade coating that preve... Read more »
Designed for all-purpose cutting through a range of craft materials that incorporate glue, tape and other sticky adhesives, our... Read more »
Designed for tight, precise cuts through a range of craft materials that incorporate glue, tape and other sticky adhesives, our... Read more »
Except when we kids switched the cards around, which I admit happened often, too. My mother made the paper place cards with traditional Puritan hats. They weren’t fancy, but they were an integral part of the table decorations each year. When she passed away, the simple table cards remained in the dining room hutch for a long time, because no one could bear to throw them out.
This year, I decided to rekindle that family tradition and make my own Thanksgiving place cards, as well as a special menu card for the big occasion. Now, I am by no means a professional crafter, but I wanted to test my hand at crafting, use a few Fiskars products, and create these mom-inspired decorations for our holiday table.
Instructions for Menu:
1) First, I wrote the menu and printed it on a plain sheet of 8 ½ x 11 paper so I could determine the right layout. I wanted to leave room for a tree at the top. When I got the type spaced the way I wanted, I printed the menu on a cream colored sheet of paper.
2) I used the Rope Border Punch to create a decorative border on the menu, before attaching it to a brown 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper. This was glued carefully to the colorful oversized decorative paper.
3) On the menu itself, I used the Tree Level Punch (X Large) to punch a tree in matching brown paper, which I pasted to the top of the page in the center.
4) Then I sprinkled leaves in different colors down the page, which I created with the Fiskars Lever Punch 3-Pack.
Voila! The menu was done. Next to the place cards...
1) Using the SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer, I cut a border for the names in the same cream paper as the menu, so these colored pieces were approximately ½ inch wide. The paper trimmer made it easy to get clean, sharp edges, even for a beginner like me.
2) I used the trimmer to cut a border about 1 ½ inch wide to surround the names, using the same decorative paper used for the menu.
3) These pieces were glued to a brown sheet of paper, sized 3.5x5 inches, which was folded in half.
4) The final touch was an autumn leaf created from the same Fiskars Lever Punch 3-Pack leaf used for the menu. I wasn’t sure at first where to put the leaf. But as I was deciding, the leaf fluttered from my hand and landed softly directly above the name. Whether it was divine intervention or old-fashioned luck, I decided to leave the leaf where it was in the design.
Here are the final results – simple but decorative and they match the china. Not only have I recreated a family tradition, but these items will make our Thanksgiving meal feel special this year – and everyone will feel included for the big event.
Somehow, I think my mom would approve.
Different colored sheets in autumn colors like cream and brown, ranging in size from 8 ½ x 11 sheets to oversized 12x12 sheets with a leaf motif.