- Difficulty Rating: Intermediate
Sometimes you need a new article of clothing and don’t have a lot of time or money to pull it off. Here’s a quick, easy, and inexpensive a-line skirt that can be embellished to suite your style.
Drawing out the measurements is the most difficult part, so if you plan to make a lot of them you may want to draw it out on paper to have a pattern to use again. Sewing and embellishing is a breeze and you can adjust it to whatever length works for you. Add some personal flare to make it truly yours and you’re set to go.
Here’s the receipt from Wal Mart.
- To cut the front of the skirt lay out your fabric folded down the center lengthwise. You’ll be cutting double thick and on the fold. Measure your waist and add one inch for ease. Because we are only cutting the front and doing it on the fold you’ll need to divide this number by four to get the length of the waist line to draw. Draw this line in a slight curve for your waist starting at the fabric fold. Also add enough for your seam allowance (I use 5/8”). Your total waist length should be (waist measurement +1” for ease) / 4 + seam allowance.
- Decide how long you want your skirt to be and add ½ an inch for the waist seam and 1 inch for the hem. Measure this length down the folded side of the fabric.
- Now comes the tricky part. Decide how wide you want your skirt to be at the bottom. For the bottom of the skirt you’ll need to draw an arc starting on the fold at the bottom of the length you defined and a straight line from the waist of your skirt coming down to intersect the skirt where the straight line is the length of the skirt and it intersects the arc to make the bottom of your skirt the correct diameter.
- Cut out the piece you’ve drawn. You now have a skirt front.
- Lay this piece as a pattern on another section of fabric folded the same way to create the back of the skirt.
- With right sides together, sew the right side seam of the skirt.
- On the left side, sew the seam and add the zipper according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold the top of your skirt in ½ inch and add the grosgrain ribbon as a facing for the waist of your skirt.
- Add a 1 inch hem to your skirt.
- 10. Embellish and wear.
1.5 yards cotton twill
1.5 yards grosgrain ribbon
1 package rick-rack