Recycle and give a new life to some of your old T-shirts Read more »
A brocade drawstring pouch can be a beautiful and luxurious accessory or gift. Read more »
Try some new punches out and make some cards to celebrate World Card Making Day! Read more »
Transform a basic jacket into something personal and unique. Read more »
Create a simple reusable calendar to plan all of your back to school activities. Read more »
When your kids need a break from playing in the hot sun this summer, hand them a good book and let them get comfortable under a shady tree on this soft, kid-sized outdoor floor cushion. Consider making larger sizes for casual grown-up seating or using outdoor fabrics to prevent weathering.
1. I cut the fabric to fit my foam insert which measures 15 x 17 x 4 inches and I am allowing 1 inch for seam allowances. Please adjust measurements to fit your foam insert remembering to add 1 inch.
You will need to cut:
2. Pin piping onto the edge of the right side of both your large fabric pieces matching raw edges and easing around the corners. Where the two ends of the piping meet, open up stitching at one end and snip away a piece of the cord to meet the cord at the other end. Fold over the outside fabric edge of the piping to neaten. Sew piping onto the fabric pieces using a zipper foot to get close to the cord.
3. Sew the short ends of your side fabric pieces together to form a loop. Allow ½ seam allowance. Press seams open.
4. Make the handles by folding all raw edges of the 8 x 4 inch pieces ½ inch towards the center then fold in half lengthwise. Check that all raw edges are concealed and stitch. Pin handle pieces at the center of two opposite side pieces and sew securely.
5. Pin the side piece onto the top of one of your large fabric pieces all the way around with right sides together. Raw edges must match. Sew with the main fabric piece on top so you can follow the stitching from where you attached the piping. Get as close to this line of stitching as possible.
6. Repeat with the second main fabric piece but leave one side open so that you can insert your foam.
7. Turn your cushion cover to the right way and insert your piece of foam.
8. Fold in your unfinished edge, pin, hand stitch the opening closed and you are done!
½ yard print heavy weight cotton canvas or outdoor fabric
½ yard solid heavy weight cotton canvas
5 yards of ½ inch piping
Foam insert (mine measured 15 x 17 x 4 inches)