August in the garden can be challenging for both gardeners and plants. Read more »
Extreme heat merits triage treatments Read more »
With a new school year on the horizon, it is time to refocus on our fall wardrobe. Read more »
“Painting” with tissue paper is not only fun but beautiful! Read more »
A new school year calls for a new set of accessories. Read more »
With school coming up, it is time to start planning and organizing. Read more »
For most of us, the extent of holiday loving on March 17 is wearing something green and maybe going so far as to plop a funny green hat on our head.
This year I decided to make a vintage inspired banner to hang up in my home for St. Patrick's Day. I purchased some new fabrics and paired them up with some old books, some beads salvaged from old necklaces, and some new Fiskars punches and stamps.
To begin with, I tore the front and back covers off the books. Using the 45mm Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter, the 18" x 24" Cutting Mat and the 6.5" x 24.5" Acrylic Ruler, I cut a 6" x 8" piece of fabric to top each book cover. I adhered these fabrics (folded in half lengthwise) to the front and back of each cover with double sided tacky tape.
Next I used the new Flower Power Squeeze Punch and a piece of scrap paper to create a stencil. I traced several flowers onto a sheet of Ranger's Grunge Paper and cut them out with the Fiskars Fingertip Craft Knife and coated each flower with Ranger's Distress Crackle Paint in Tattered Rose.
I finished embellishing the flowers by adding beads and sequins to the centers.
Using the new For the Birds stamp set and High Density Pigment Ink in Brown, I stamped some images on scraps of muslin and adhered them to the book covers using fusible web. This is my favorite method of adhering fabric to paper.
I found an Irish Blessing that I liked and used the A-Z stamp set to stamp it directly onto the book covers, as the covers I used were uncoated paper. The Compact Stamp press is a wonderful tool to use when stamping multiple words onto a project. I was able to stamp most of the words on each book cover all at one time, something you can't do with a small acrylic block. The grid on the Stamp Press provides a guide for aligning multiple stamps.
Cutting individual letters from old discarded books and using them to make words is a fun, inexpensive way to add a vintage look to projects. I did this to help complete the ìtitleî of this banner on the first and last panels.
This is another example of stamping on muslin and using it as an embellishment. Since the book cover is very dense and likely to break my sewing machine needle, I stitched around the circumference of the circle prior to adhering it to the banner with fusible web.
After I stamped my text for this page onto patterned paper, I decided it looked too stark so I added a piece of cheese cloth over the strip to soften the appearance of it.
Some more layering of small scraps. I used a heart from the 8î x 8î Clear Thank You Stamps on muslin and punched a branch using the new Branching Out Squeeze Punch. And the final panel with more stamping, small scraps, and letters cut from one of the old books.
Once the panels were all complete, I poked holes in the top edges of each one and pulled 16î lengths of muslin through them to create ties. Prior to doing this, I added a bit of decorative stitching down the center of each strip.
Since I chose to use non-traditional St. Patrick's Day embellishments and used a blessing that doesn't have a strictly St. Patrick's Day theme, I can also use this banner any time of year just to offer words of encouragement to my family and our visitors!
Front and back covers from 3 books
Ranger Grunge Paper or chipboard
Ranger Distress Crackle Paint in Tattered Rose
Chipboard letters or letter stickers
Variety of vintage trims