Does it seem like every 4th of July you are scrambling around your dresser trying to find something patriotic to wear?
DIY 4th of July Hair Accessories
By Lisa Storms
- Traditional design is ideal for punching simple shapes in craft projects for both functional and decorative purposes
- Cushioned grip provides comfortable use
- Confetti catcher holds all clippings
- Color-coded handle makes it easy to find the right punch in your collection
- For best results, use on 65-lb. cardstock and lower
- Lifetime warranty
- Star Hand Punch (1/4") | Fiskars
- Ideal for cutting in tight spaces and detailed cuts through multiple layers or thick and heavy mixed media materials like cardstock, magnet, chipboard, fiberglass cloth and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick mixed media materials and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- Premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge cut cleanly all the way to the tip and stay sharp
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 6"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® Mixed Media Shears (6")
- 12" x 18" mat is easy to transport, easy to store and perfect for anyone who has limited fabric-cutting space
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: Small (12" x 18")
A traditional design makes punching simple shapes quick and easy.
Designed to cut thick and heavy mixed media, these shears feature short blades ideal for cutting in tight spaces.
Compact cutting mat is perfect when space is at a premium.
Here are some simple ideas to throw together last-minute accessories for the 4th of July with tools and materials you may already have around the house.
And some things, like this star headband, would be cute worn anytime of the year! It doesn’t get much simpler. Freehand-cut stars from white leather (maybe an old tote you had laying around). Fiskars’ Amplify® Mixed Media Shears make cutting leather and other thick materials easy. Hot glue three to five stars onto an elastic headband and you are patriotic-ready.
Another easy way to add patriotic fun is by adding stars to your nails. It is such a simple way to get a custom look without requiring much skill.
Punch small stars from painter’s tape using the Fiskars Star Hand Punch. Press the tape onto wax paper before punching so that you don’t have a problem with the adhesive gunking up the punch. The tape will peel off of the wax paper easily. Attach these mini star templates to your dried blue nails and paint over the starts with white nail polish. Slowly remove the tape before the polish dries.
You can also add a little star power to some ribbons for bows just as easily as you added stars to your nails.
Punch a row of stars from painter’s tape, first adhering it to wax paper for punching as described above.
Place the row of tape stars aligned with the center of a piece of ribbon. Using a foam brush, paint white fabric or acrylic paint through each star template, and then remove the tape before the paint dries.
Then it is as easy as gathering a collection of ribbons and tying them onto a ponytail holder. These ideas would work as well with the heart hand punch on Valentine’s Day.