These simple finger puppets made from felt are a great spring craft project or they can be a cute handcrafted gift to tuck into an Easter basket.
Easter Finger Puppets
By Patti Milazzo
- Ideal for cutting tight patterns and intricate details on a wide range of fabrics or crafts
- Non-stick blade coating makes it easy to cut cleanly through materials with sticky adhesives like tape or glue
- High-grade, precision-ground, stainless-steel blades offer a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Double-loop handle accommodates right- and left-handed users
- Length: 4.9"
- Lifetime warranty
- Non-stick Detail Scissors (No. 5)
- Ideal for cutting out embellishments for cards, collages, scrapbook pages, decorations and other craft projects
- Great for creating custom stencil patterns, masks or windows on cards or scrapbook pages
- Available in a wide variety of styles for any occasion or sentiment
- Select styles include edges that can be used to cut decorative borders
- Transparent templates let you see where you are cutting so you don’t waste craft paper
- Grid pattern simplifies layout for mistake-free crafting
- For use with our Ultra ShapeXpress™ Shape Cutter
- Shape Templates store flat to save space
- Hard plastic templates will not yellow or curl with age
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Oval Shapes Template (8.5" x 11")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: Large (24" x 36")
Perfectly sized for quick snips and detailed cutting on materials with sticky adhesives.
Cut the perfect shape for your project!
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
See how easy it is to create these characters with Fiskars® Oval Shape Template and Fabric Shears.
1. Using the Oval Shape Template, use a fine tip marker to trace 2 - 2" x 2.5" ovals onto felt. This will be the body of the puppet. Depending on which animal you are making, cut with straight or scallop edged fabric shears. Use cream felt for the bunny, yellow for the chick and white for the lamb.
2. For each animal body, take one oval and trim a small curved section from the bottom. I used the template to trace the curve. This will make it easier for little fingers to slip the puppet into place.
3. Trace additional ovals onto coordinating felt using the smaller ovals on the template to create the following:
- lamb face: 1 - 1.25" x 1.5" oval (brown)
- lamb ears: 4 - .75" x 1" oval (2 pink and 2 brown)
- chick's wings: 2 - 1.25" x 1.5" (yellow)
- bunny's ears: 2 - 1.5" x 2" (cream) and 2 - 1.25" x 1.5" (pink)
Note: narrow the bunny ear ovals by folding them in half along the length of the oval and trimming to create a more oblong shape.
4. Also, cut 2 strips of white felt to create the lambís legs; cover and glue the bottom of each leg with pieces of brown felt.
5. Cut a 1" x 1.5" piece of yellow felt to create the tuft on top of the chickís head. Fold in half, trim with Pinking Shears and cut sections to fringe.
6. Layer and glue the ear pieces together as well as the lambís legs and set aside.
7. Cut a small diamond shape from orange felt for the chickís beak. Stitch this with orange thread to the front oval where the face will be.
8. With embroidery thread, stitch the eyes (French knots) and noses for each animalís face.
9. Glue the lambís face to the front body oval.
10. For each puppet, position ears, wings, legs, fringe in place and pin in place.
11. Machine stitch around the body of the puppet, leaving open the area at the bottom.
12. Unpin and theyíre ready to enjoy!
Other suggestions: If you are having small children create this project, use glue instead of machine stitching. Also, use beads, craft googly eyes or fabric paint to create the faces.