This is a fun no-sew craft for kids for Thanksgiving, inspired by the classic knotted fleece blankets and pillows.
Stuffed Turkey Kids Craft
By Lisa Storms
- Ideal for kids ages 12 and up
- #1 teacher recommended brand
- Softgrip® handle provides more comfortable grip and helps reduce hand fatigue during big projects
- Stainless-steel blades feature a lasting edge for excellent cutting performance
- Pointed-tip blades offer improved detail cutting
- Larger finger loop and an ergonomic thumb loop provide a natural, more comfortable fit for growing hands
- Accommodates right- and left-handed users
- Available in a range of trend-right colors that older kids love
- Length: 7"
- Lifetime warranty
- Softgrip® Student Scissors (7")
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including denim, leather and multiple layers of fabric
- Blades ground to a razor edge cut through heavy material with less effort
- Hardened, stainless-steel blades provide lasting durability
- Softgrip® handle reduces hand fatigue for comfortable extended use
- Ergonomic handle is sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing cutting control and sensitivity
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- RazorEdge™ Softgrip® Scissors (8")
- Extra-large mat provides ample space for all your fabric-cutting needs
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Self Healing Cutting Mat: Large (24" x 36")
- Ideal for cutting out embellishments for cards, collages, scrapbook pages, decorations and other craft projects
- Shape template offers 29 popular shapes for creating embellishments, custom stencils, masks or negative space for use as a window
- Shape templates also include four unique border designs
- 9" x 12" cutting mat features a self-healing surface for lasting value
- Ultra ShapeXpress™ Shape Cutter blade swivels 360 degrees to make cutting curves easy in shape templates and offer creative freedom when cutting freehand
- Replacement blades are easy to insert into Ultra ShapeXpress™ Shape Cutter when the original blade is worn out by heavy use
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Basic Shapes Ultra ShapeXpress™ Starter Set
Look for this at your local retailer
Designed to put adult cutting performance in still-growing hands, now with a more comfortable grip!
RazorEdge™ blades provide unmatched sharpness and a Softgrip® handle maximizes comfort.
Extra-large mat give you plenty of room to work.
A great value for anyone who wants to start shape cutting!
1. Create a template, like the one in the photo above, and cut out on outermost line with scissors. Line the tallest edge along a folded paper grocery bag (or other large paper) and trace with marker. Cut out and unfold to create semicircle template.
2. Lay newly created template onto fold (as shown) of high quality fleece with wrong sides folded together and trace with permanent marker.
3. Cut out just inside marked line through both layers using Razor-edge Softgrip Scissors.
4. Cut out the innermost line of your template and line the tallest edge along a folded piece of cardstock. Trace with marker, cut out, and unfold to create another semicircle template.
5. Clip new template onto folded edge of cut fleece centered as shown. Tip: Working on a large cutting mat not only protects your work surface, it also makes easy work of lining up or centering items. Cut strips around perimeter of fleece from edge to clipped template in approximately half inch increments.
6. Knot each set of strips twice to secure. Continue around perimeter of fleece stopping when there are five sets of strips left.
7. Stuff fleece with fiberfill through opening to make the turkey nice and plump, the fatter the better! Knot remaining strips.
8. Help your child trace their foot onto brown felt for them to cut out for turkey’s head and neck.
9. Give them shape templates to trace and cut out facial features, such as circles for eyes and leaf for wattle onto felt. Cut two strips of orange or yellow felt at desired length for legs. Cut slits at end of strips for toes.
10. Glue all pieces onto stuffed turkey as shown and allow to dry fully. Adults can use a low-temp hot glue gun to speed up the drying process.
Click here for more ideas on making your Thanksgiving special