Grab an existing bookcase and dress it up to turn some old furniture into a fun, full-functioning bar. This DIY upcycle can be completed in two hours and it’s sure to be the centerpiece of your next outdoor party!
DIY Drink Station for your Yard
By Chris Lambton
- Ideal for precisely cutting a wide variety of materials, including paper, cardstock, thin plastic, photos, canvas and more
- Easy blade change lock makes switching blades virtually effortless
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Ergonomic handle is contoured to your hand’s natural grip
- No-roll design prevents knife from rolling off work surface
- Included safety cap protects blade during storage
- Includes one #11 blade
- Compatible with standard blades, including #10, #11, #16, #17
- Five-pack of replacement #11 blades available (item 196010)
- Full lifetime warranty
- Easy Change Detail Knife
- Ideal for driving nails during a wide variety of common tasks on the job site or around the house
- Patented IsoCore™ Shock Control System absorbs strike shock and vibration to reduce the punishment your body takes, transferring 4X less shock and vibration than wood handles
- Insulation sleeve captures initial strike shock before it can reach your hand
- Dual-layer handle features a specially formulated combination of insulating materials to dampen lingering vibration
- Magnetic nail-starter groove allows you to start nails with one hand in hard places
- Rip claw pulls nails quickly and easily
- Handle flare keeps the tool firmly in hand when swinging
- Softgrip® handle features a sculpted profile to fit the natural shape of your hand
- Patent-pending, strategic handle texturing features large dimples where fingers rest for maximum grip and small dimples where the palm rests to help prevent blisters
- Extended grip lets you choke up for added control when making precision strikes
- Head optimized for balance, weight and superior durability
- Forged, heat-treated steel is finished with a rust-resistant coating
- Tested to exceed ISO and international standards for striking tool durability
- Length: 15.5"
- Weight: 20 oz.
- Full lifetime warranty
- IsoCore™ 20 oz General Use Hammer (15.5")
Precisely cut a wide range of materials with a comfortable knife featuring faster, simpler blade changing.
Great for a wide range of common on-the-job tasks, this general use hammer features our patented IsoCore™ Shock Control System to reduce shock and vibration by 4X.
Cabinet, Bookcase or Dresser
Towel ring and hooks
Step 1: Prep your furniture. For this upcycle, find an old bookcase or dresser lying around the house that needs a new function. If you don’t have anything at home, visit your local thrift store or resale shop to scout the perfect piece. Take any existing shelves out of your chosen bar base and sand down any rough spots, if needed, to get ready for painting.
Step 2: Prep for paint. I wanted a fun accent color for my DIY drink station rather than painting the entire bar a new color. By adding just a bit of color, I am dressing up an old item but still keeping its classic construction in mind.
Tape off the areas to be painted to ensure your accent color stays just where you want it. I wanted the back of my bar to pop, so I taped each interior side so the paint would look clean and crisp on the inside backing.
Step 3: Trim the tape. Once the tape is in place, remove the excess that covers any edges to be painted using the
Fiskars® Heavy-Duty Easy Change Detail Knife.
Step 4: Paint and decorate. Now that your bar is prepped, paint the designated areas. You can add as much embellishment as you’d like at this stage. Whether it’s mixing paint colors or adding new textures, you can make this bar your own. Once the paint has been applied and begins to dry, remove the tape.
Step 5: Add the bar essentials. Every bar needs a few accessories. Add a stationary bottle opener and a few towel rings or hooks to the sides using the
Fiskars® IsoCore™ 20 oz. General Use Hammer. Once the paint has dried, add the shelves back in to finish.
Step 6: Place and party! Move the DIY drink station to a patio, deck or next to a
fire pit to make sure every outdoor gathering is stocked and ready for your beverage needs. Fill with glasses, towels, and any other bar necessities and get ready to play host!