Yarn hangings and macramé are a huge trend in home décor, so it makes perfect sense to create something similar for your Halloween party this year. It’s an understated holiday look that’s perfect for those who have a boho, earthy home style. Hang on a door, the wall or maybe even make a mini-version for your office. This project can be completed in under an hour and can be happily accomplished by even the most novice of maker.
Halloween Inspired Yarn Hanging
By Jen Causey of Something Turquoise
- PowerGear® patented gear technology multiplies leverage to give you up to 3X more power on every cut
- Powers through thick branches that traditional loppers and pruners can’t
- Patent-pending design with modified gears and cam mechanism optimizes your cutting power in the middle of the cut where the branch is thickest and you need it most
- Earned the Arthritis Foundation’s Ease of UseSM Commendation
- Fully hardened steel blade stays sharp, even through heavy use
- Low-friction coating helps the blade glide through wood, prevents the blade from gumming up with sap and debris and helps the blade resist rust
- Rounded ergonomic handles with Softgrip® enhances comfort and control
- Tough steel construction with riveted handles offers lasting durability
- Bypass blade style
- Length: 18"
- Maximum cutting capacity: 1-1/2" dia.
- Lifetime warranty
- PowerGear2® Lopper (18")
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including denim, silk and multiple layers of fabric
- High-grade, precision-ground, stainless-steel blades offer a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Ergonomic handle is sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing cutting control and sensitivity
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- The Original Orange-handled Scissors™ (8")
Enhanced to maximize leverage where you need it most, so you can power through branches up to 1-1/2" diameter with ease.
Known worldwide for quality and precision, our trusted Orange-handled Scissors have sold over 1 billion since 1967.
Step 1: Prune your branches. Select some Halloween-esque branches from a local craft store or your backyard and trim them down to size using the
Fiskars® PowerGear2™ Lopper like I did, or the
PowerGear2™ Pruner depending on your stick size. Both tools are powerful, easy on the hands and leave a super clean cut.
Step 2: Select and cut your yarn. Pick out yarn in a Halloween color scheme, in different textures and sizes. Using your
Fiskars® Orange-handled Scissors™, cut a few strands of each to get started. The amount of yarn needed will depend on the size of wall hanging you’re creating. You can always cut and tie as you go.
Step 3: Begin to tie. Create a simple wrap style knot around the branch by doubling one piece of yarn and pulling tight. Keep adding strands of yarn in this fashion until you are satisfied with the look.
Step 4: Add additional yarn. Knot different amounts of each color of yarn as you go. Remember you can always remove and add more, nothing is set in stone with this project.
Step 5: Finish with yarn to hang in the final location. Tie a piece of yarn to both ends of the branch to hang your new decor piece.
Step 6: Trim the edges. Either hang the hanging on the wall or lay it out flat on a table to cut the ends of the yarn at different angles.
Step 7: Embellish and enjoy. Add beads, chain, feathers, or anything else you’d like to embellish your wall hanging.
Bonus Tip: Looking to make something a little smaller? You can easily create this same yarn hanging in a mini-version that would look darling in any small space!