Upcycled Burlap Tote
By Emma Jeffery
- Ideal for long cuts through multiple layers or thick and heavy fabrics like leather, upholstery, vinyl, burlap, suede, flannel and much more
- Amplify® technology senses blade separation when cutting thick fabrics and forces the blades back together for crisp, clean cuts every time — the floating blade tang transfers energy to the torsion bar which adjusts the blade to its optimal angle
- RazorEdge™ Shears feature ultra-sharp, premium-grade stainless-steel blades with a precisely honed edge that glides through fabric for clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Larger handle loops provide extra room and a comfortable fit for larger hands
- Exceptional comfort and control provided by thumb and finger loops with ergonomic sculpting to fit the shape and natural movement of the hand
- Softgrip® touchpoints enhance comfort and control
- Protective sheath keeps the blades safe and protected
- Length: 10"
- Lifetime warranty
- Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Scissors (10")
- Ideal for cutting fabric strips or squares directly from the bolt
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree line indicators make it easy to cut at perfect angles
- Made of 3 mm-thick acrylic for lasting durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Coastal Colors Acrylic Ruler (6" x 24")
- 12" x 18" mat is easy to transport, easy to store and perfect for anyone who has limited fabric-cutting space
- Self-healing mat provides a cutting surface that lasts longer than others
- Easy-to-read measuring grid on both sides means you can turn the mat over for double the usage
- 30-, 45- and 60-degree bias lines make creating triangle and star shapes easy
- 100-percent polypropylene mat can be recycled when it is used up after long-term, intensive use
- Store flat away from sunlight, heat and cold
- Clean with warm water and mild soap
- Lifetime warranty
- Eco Cutting Mat (12" x 18")
Designed to cut thick and heavy fabrics, these premium fabric shears feature a larger handle and longer, ultra-sharp blades ideal for cutting long swathes.
Easy-to-read ruler makes it easy to cut fabric right from the bolt.
This compact, earth-friendly cutting mat is perfect when space is at a premium.
Burlap coffee sack
Cotton webbing for handle
Make your own market tote by re-purposing an old coffee bean sack and lining it with a fun fabric. This bag is durable and hard-wearing, and the handles make it so easy to carry your fresh produce home from the farmer’s market.
1. Measure 23” x 15” and use a marker to mark the measurements on the coffee sack.
Cut along the lines you made using your Fiskars Amplify® RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears, cutting through two layers of the coffee sack at the same time.
2. Pin, and then sew the burlap together along each side and the bottom edge.
3. Measure 2” squares in the bottom corners of the burlap.
Cut out the squares, open up the hole and push the opposing raw edges together. Pin, then sew together to create a boxed bottom to the tote.
4. Repeat steps one through three with a piece of lining fabric. When sewing the bottom edge of the lining fabric, leave a 6” hole in the seam. You will need this for turning your bag through.
5. Check that the lining fabric is wrong side out and place the coffee sack burlap into the lining, so that the right side of the burlap is facing the right side of the lining. Pin all the way around the top edge and sew.
6. Pull the burlap fabric through the hole you left in the lining, and then push the lining down into the inside of the bag. Topstitch around the top edge/opening of the bag, for a finished look.
7. For the handles, cut two lengths of cotton webbing each measuring 25”. Sew the center 10” together to create a reinforced, comfortable handle.
8. Sew the ends of the handles 3” either side of the top center point. Fold the ends under so that the raw edges are concealed.
9. Close the turning hole in the bottom of the lining fabric by topstitching or hand stitching.