Compost is the secret ingredient of all great gardens: it adds nutrients to the soil, improves its structure and texture, and makes top-notch mulch. Here’s how to make your own compost — and jump-start any compost pile — with the help of the StaySharp™Max Reel Mower and grass catcher.
How to compost with a reel mower
By Marty Ross
- Ideal for eco-friendly cutting of all grass types, even tough southern varieties like St. Augustine, Zoysia, Bahia and Bermuda
- Advanced design is 60% easier to push than other reel mowers
- InertiaDrive™ reel delivers twice the cutting power to glide through tough spots that would jam other reel mowers
- StaySharp™ cutting system cuts without unwanted contact, greatly reducing wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening
- VersaCut™ technology offers cut height settings from 1"-4", plus one-touch height adjustment
- Inset wheels allow the blades to extend across the mower’s full width, eliminating uncut strips and edges near foundations and fences
- Reversible grass chute can direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or backward and downward, making it easier to mow tough patches while limiting messiness
- 18" cut width
- Limited 3-year warranty
- StaySharp™ Max Reel Mower
- Ideal for loosening, lifting and turning garden soil or other garden materials like compost, mulch or hay
- Welded boron steel head and 17-gauge steel shaft provide durability that far outlasts wood-handled tools and won’t flex like fiberglass
- Angled D-handle keeps your wrist in a neutral position to reduce strain and provides a secure grip
- Pointed tines penetrate dense, hardened soil easily
- Teardrop-shaped shaft fits the natural shape and motion of your hand for exceptional comfort and control
- Mid grip improves control and insulates against the cold
- Designed for convenient hanging storage in your shed or garage
- Powder-coated steel resists rust and offers easy cleaning
- Length: 47"
- Full lifetime warranty
- Ergo D-handle Steel Garden Fork (47")
- Hooks onto the front of the StaySharp™ Max/Momentum™ Reel Mower (model 6201) to capture grass clippings and keep your lawn clean
- Built-in handle makes attaching and emptying grass clippings a breeze
- Heavy-duty steel frame with a UV- and mildew-resistant polyester screen offers lasting durability
- Holds one bushel of grass clippings
- Quick, easy assembly
- Limited one-year warranty
- Grass Catcher for StaySharp™ Max Reel Lawn Mowers (18")
- Ideal for collecting weeds, grass clippings, other types of yard waste or even toys or laundry off the clothesline
- Folds to 3" for space-saving storage
- Internal spring pops it up for use
- Sturdy handles provide comfortable carrying and unloading
- Tear- and mildew-resistant vinyl-coated polyester construction provides durability and easy cleaning
- Capacity: 30 gallons
- Dimensions: 1.25L x 22.8W x 23.75H
- Lifetime warranty
- Kangaroo® Garden Bag (30 gallon)
Eco-friendly lawn mowing is easier than ever with an advanced reel mower that’s 60% easier to push than standard reel mowers.
Loosen, lift and turn garden materials with a durable garden fork featuring advanced ergonomics.
Add this Grass Catcher to your StaySharp™ Max or Momentum™ Reel Mower to keep your lawn clipping-free.
Choose our innovative pop-up gardening container for all of your outdoor cleanup needs.
Great compost starts with a pile of dried leaves, but the healthy decomposition process doesn’t really get going well until you combine the leaves (carbon) with green trimmings (nitrogen). Mixing green grass clippings into a pile of leaves generates heat in the pile to transform the leaves and clippings into crumbly, nutrient-rich compost. You’ll then find lots of ways to use homemade compost in your garden.
With a reel mower fitted with a grass catcher, add a significant quantity of clippings to your compost pile with just a couple of quick passes over the lawn. The StaySharp Max reel mower has a super-sharp cutting system that relies on a large cutting reel and a stationary blade – the two actually never touch, so there is no friction. No other reel mower cuts so easily.
As you push the mower, the grass clippings accumulate into the grass catcher.
Instead of making trips back and forth to the compost pile with the grass catcher full of clippings, empty the clippings into a Kangaroo® Garden Bag. Fill it up once or twice and you’ll have enough of grass to heat the compost pile up.
Now, use a garden fork to combine the pile, so the green grass clippings and brown leaves are well mixed. The Ergo D-Handle Steel Garden Fork is a great tool for lifting the grass and leaves and tossing them together. The fork’s D-shaped handle gives you a sure grip, and the teardrop-shaped shaft is comfortable whether you’re turning compost or digging into the soil.
Continue to add grass clippings to your compost pile from time to time during the growing season, mixing them in each time. When the mixture is brown and crumbly, you can start to use your compost. Add a shovel full to the soil whenever you’re planting flowers, trees, or shrubs. Compost adds nutrients to the soil as it continues to break down. Or add the compost as mulch around established plants. Mulching with compost is one of the best things you can do for your soil and for your garden.