Storing crayons just got easier with this sushi shaped crayon holder tutorial. Your kids will be sure to clean up their crayons with this stylish and fun way to carry around their back to school supplies.
DIY Sushi Crayon Roll Up
By Handmade Charlotte
- Ideal for kids ages four and up
- #1 teacher recommended brand
- Innovative safety-edge blades feature a safer blade angle to protect kids while still cutting all classroom materials
- Pointed-tip blades offer improved detail cutting
- Larger finger loop and an ergonomic thumb loop provide a natural, more comfortable fit for kids’ fingers
- Smooth, shiny turquoise handle was specifically requested by kids
- Accommodates right- and left-handed users
- Length: 5"
- Lifetime warranty
- Turquoise Pointed-tip Kids Scissors (5")
- Traditional design is ideal for punching simple shapes in craft projects for both functional and decorative purposes
- Cushioned grip provides comfortable use
- Confetti catcher holds all clippings
- Color-coded handle makes it easy to find the right punch in your collection
- For best results, use on 65-lb. cardstock and lower
- Lifetime warranty
- 1/4" Circle Hand Punch
- Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including denim, silk and multiple layers of fabric
- High-grade, precision-ground, stainless-steel blades offer a lasting sharp edge that cuts all the way to the tip
- Ergonomic handle is sculpted to fit your hand, maximizing cutting control and sensitivity
- Bent handle design keeps material flat for mistake-free cutting
- Length: 8"
- Lifetime warranty
- The Original Orange-handled Scissors™ (8")
Recommended by teachers, trusted by moms and loved by kids, with a pointed-tip design for improved cutting control.
A traditional design makes punching simple shapes quick and easy.
Known worldwide for quality and precision, our trusted Orange-handled Scissors have sold over 1 billion since 1967.
Sushi Roll Up Printable Template
Forest green craft felt
White craft foam
Hot glue gun
There is just something exciting about getting new school supplies for the school year. Kids love opening up all the new packages and organizing them in their backpacks. We've all heard the term, if there's a place for it, it won't get lost. Well, why not roll those cute little crayons up in a sweet piece of sushi!? These roll ups are easy enough that kids can do them and impressive enough that adults will want to make them.
These little roll ups take up less space than a box or a cubby and are perfect for kids on-the-go. All the materials are inexpensive and available at your local craft shop.
1. Cut out the printable templates. Your kids can help with this step by using our Kids scissors. While the blades have a safety-edge blade, they still provide high quality cutting. Download the pdf here.
2. Next, cut the foam and the felt to the dimensions on the printable template. The outermost shape will be out of green felt, while the two inner pieces are made from white foam.
3. On the inner sushi roll piece of foam, cut a slit into the foam. The length and positioning is shown on the printable template.
4. Use the 1/4" Circle Hand Punch to punch a hole near the end of the green felt.
5. Loop the ribbon through the hole. This will be the tie that wraps around the roll.
6. Hot glue the white foam pieces together at one end. A few dots or one thin line will do the trick! You can also use children's glue in place of hot glue.
7. Hot glue the opposite end of the outer piece of white foam to the green felt.
8. Slide 4-5 of your favorite crayons into the pocket. You are ready to roll!
9. Roll the white section away from the ribbon once, and then roll together with the green felt. Wrap the ribbon around the roll and loop through for a simple tie - no need for a sushi mat this time!
Get creative with your crayon color choices and feel free to add on any decorations like paper punches, markers or even fabric paint. Play around with the ribbon choices, too! School supply basics have never been so yummy-cute!
To find the perfect scissors for your child, visit our Kids Scissors Selection Guide.